On Engrish  

Posted by Jeremy Tarbush in , , , ,

I've always been a fan of constructed languages. I got into the whole Klingon(ese) kick when I was in middle school. Yeah, I can still say "What are you doing?" (A greeting) and "Revenge is a dish which is best served cold!" in Klingon. I even am trying to learn Esperanto, which is an English-Portuguese mix or sorts.
Well, today, I ran into Engrish. It's when people who natively speak Japanese use signage in English. It turns into a clusterf*$&. Believe me. It's bad. I'll just refer you to the site. http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=signs1
Well, how was that? It's so William Gibson, that I can't stand myself. It's like the whole world moved to Greater Hong Kong. This is exactly the reason I love reading fortune cookies.

0 comments

Post a Comment