Working definition of Our Theme  

Posted by Jeremy Tarbush in , , , ,

Well, since I defined that our theme was links and pics that show we're going down the road to a Cyberpunk world, I guess (for some of you) I need to define what Cyberpunk is.

From Answers.com the definition of Cyberpunk is Fast-paced science fiction involving futuristic computer-based societies. That is the definition of Cyberpunk world that I am working with.

There are other definitions as to what a Cyberpunk is. For example, A futuristic, online delinquent: breaking into computer systems; surviving by high-tech wits. The term comes from science fiction novels such as "Neuromancer" and "Shockwave Rider." See steampunk. I have heard of "never trusting anyone that describes themselves as a Cyberpunk". That just makes me think of never trusting anyone that describes themselves as a hacker. Hackers are not all bad people, and I am a self-(and other)described hacker.

I would read the rest of the page at Answers.com and follow some of the links for a good read. It describes Japan and Sony Center in Berlin as Real Life Cyberpunk.

I hope we have ironed out some of our definition and can get more to the meat and taters, but we could spend the rest of our life deciding what Cyberpunk, Steampunk, and Clockpunk mean.

0 comments

Post a Comment